Come the new year, there are some amazing Sales on the high street – with most retailers offering discounts of up to 70%. Sales are the perfect opportunity to invest in those wardrobe staples for a fraction of the cost – good quality, timeless, seasonless classics that will last for many years to come.
A few years ago I bought three pairs of knee high boots from Russell & Bromley in the January sales, with about 80% off the full price cost. I ended up with beautiful, well made boots in genuine leather for the price of cheaper high street versions. I still wear them now and with real leather, the more you wear the softer and better the leather looks.
SALES ITEMS THAT HAVE CAUGHT MY EYE…
- The minimal cut of this simple Tee from & Other Stories is a style that will work with everything, dressing down a leather pencil skirt for work or teamed with dungaree’s for that casual weekend look. This metallic silver Tee is down from £25 to £18. &OtherStories.com
- This leather, mid-length skirt from Whistles is an absolute wardrobe staple. Butter soft leather, in a classic A-line style you will enjoy wearing it for many years. Down from £280 to £85. Whistles.com
- Originally made cool by Coco Chanel, taking inspiration from French sailors at the time, the Breton tee has become the ultimate wardrobe classic. It is a great weekend look to throw on, teamed with jeans and flats and looks amazing with black leather (such as a pencil skirt or biker jacket). This long sleeved version by Boden is down from £26.50 to £15.90. Boden.co.uk
- A well-made, winter coat in a bold colour will brighten up any outfit. This striking, canary yellow belted trench in wool is from J.Crew and down from £398 to £199. J.Crew.com
- A black, suede Chelsea style ankle boot will go with everything. This made-in-Italy, Russell & Bromley pair is down from £265 to £195. Russellandbromley.co.uk
HOW TO: TIPS FOR SALES SHOPPING THE CLASSICS
- Keep colours simple, black is your fail safe option and will never look dated.
- The more minimal the style, the less likely to date so opt for non-fussy detail – the less embellishment the better.
- Classic cuts and silhouettes will stand the test of time, channel your inner Coco Chanel or Audrey Hepburn if you’re looking for style inspiration.
- Be aware of bold prints, these can look amazing at the time but will also date fairly quickly – you can’t really get away with wearing a standout print too many times, as it’s so noticeable. Go for a bold, block colour instead as this will still look current a few years down the line.
- Shop with brands that you know use good quality materials and check the fabrics before you purchase.
- Take this as an opportunity to review your wardrobe and what’s potentially missing: do you have the perfect leather, biker jacket? Do you have a crisp, white shirt that goes with everything or a camel trench coat for work? The perfect fit jeans or that leather pencil skirt that takes you from day to night with ease? Plug the gap with quality items that will only look better with wear.
Sign-Up To FashionBite’s Weekly News